[cpp-threads] std::atomic<> in acquire-release mode and write atomicity

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 11:30:15 GMT 2008

Given

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2745.html

are we all in agreement that std::atomic<> in acquire-release mode
provides classic release consistency without any write atomicity
(total order for release stores) RCpc model and neither something like
RCtso (e.g. Itanium's acquire-release under which even IRIW works just
fine) nor some "causal" model like current x86 (IRIW fails without
XCHG but other "causality" examples work without XCHG for release
stores).

How is this reflected in the current draft? (I've frankly lost track
of relevant definitions and possible interpretations... :-) )

TIA.

regards,
alexander.