Michael Maged

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Fri Oct 1 12:54:57 BST 2004

Adding Maged would be fine.

But the other exchanges convince me to switch from being agnostic
about combining memory model (+atomics) vs library in one proposal to
now agreeing with Hans that they ought to be separated.  There is too
much religious fervor out there about the best way to support
medium-level concurrency control. I was further reminded of this after
a couple of recent exchanges with Peter Buhr, who has been working on
concurrency in C++ for 15 years now, and who has some very strong
opinions about it. (See http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~pabuhr/ papers on
uC++). He liked the MM aspects of proposal but hated the idea
of standardizing library without further syntactic/languagec support.

The memory model parts might still have some residual controversy (as
indicated in some of Jim Rogers remarks), but there seems a good
chance they could quickly succeed. The library part could still try to
proceed in a compatible way, but there is less risk losing everything
in case it stalls.