Threads: first milestone completed

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at metalanguage.com
Thu Oct 21 01:51:57 BST 2004

Gentlemen,

I've been really swamped until now, too swamped to give an account of
the presentation I made on behalf of the group for adding threads to C++.

To characterize how it went, I'll quote Herb Sutter, ISO C++ Convenor
(whom I also include on the receiver list to confirm veracity!): "One of
the best presentations I've attended in the past 5 years, and certainly
your best."

Herb also added that I can quote him in telling you that "The C++
Standardization Committee is _insanely interested_ in this proposal."

Things indeed went as good as in one of those good dreams when you can
fly wherever you want, and you can predict the future and prepare in
advance for it - both at the same time :o). The puny slides we've had
worked extremely well; like magic, for each of the questions in the
audience, there was some bullet on a slide addressing it. I repeatedly
got asked about how the "happens-before" rule works in various
circumstances, and to my own amazement, I could answer them. Then,
people who understood started to explain things to the others... it was
great.

So, to cut the brag short, aside from the good news there's "we gotta
get to work" news. There is no formal deadline, but a good milestone is
the next committee meeting, which will be in six months from now.

What I believe we need to produce is two papers. One would describe and
explain the memory model as adapted to C++. The second would be a
collection of "deltas" to the current standard, specifying what text
needs to go into what sections replacing what text.

I hope those of you who have participated to the similar effort for Java
will chime in and structure this work. That includes logistics, who does
what, the review process, everything. So... please respond!

Andrei