Pass 2.3

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Sep 11 20:52:10 BST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Doug Lea wrote:

> I probably also should have mentioned that on most small embedded
> systems you can just disable interrupts etc to emulate atomics. (I
> suppose it is implicit though in that this is also how some of them
> implement locks.)
Good point.  However, I think a dual core ARM was announced recently,
so this may stop working for some "bare metal" embedded applications.

> > I'm still not sure there are actually important architectures with the
> > problem you mention below.  It is something to look at, though.
>
> I believe the Alpha had this problem. Even if alphas never meet next
> C++ standard, probably some processor designer will someday decide to
> also make a chip with word-tearing problems.

For Alphas, I think this was fixed a long time ago.  I personally think
that we don't have to accomodate future mistakes in this area.  If someone
designs a multiprocessor with this sort of issue, they get what they deserve.