Standardizing C++ concurrency

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Tue Sep 14 03:52:05 BST 2004

In message <20040914003120.918501000A4 at tango.dre.vanderbilt.edu>,
Douglas C. Schmidt <schmidt at dre.vanderbilt.edu> writes

>> > Naturally, the part of this effort that interests me the most is the one
>> > dealing with standardizing the C++ threading library API.  If I can help
>> > out please let me know!
>>
>> I suspect that Kevlin, especially, would greatly appreciate your help
>> on this part, since he foolishly pushed us into not only proposing
>> memory model, but also a standard library, and the rest of us have no
>> idea where to start on this part :-)
>
>I'll be happy to help out where I can!

Most of my work on a generic approach has concentrated on the primitive
level, but ideally consideration (if not inclusion) of higher-level
facilities should be included, giving us a three-level proposal: memory
model, library primitives, higher-level library facilities.

Perhaps this is something we could discuss at OOPSLA? There might be
some time then to mull over these foolish things :-)

Kevlin

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508
   http://www.curbralan.com        fax:    +44 870 052 2289
   Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review