[cpp-threads] pthreads (was: RE: C++ Connections proposal)

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Apr 26 19:49:26 BST 2005

> Well, what I'd like to see (as a mere observer ;-) ) is
>
> http://lists.boost.org/boost/2005/04/24857.php

I think this was previously discussed by another group, with no real
conclusion.  The tricky issues with cancellation points as exceptions
seem to be what happens when a thread in a C library call is cancelled.
The client code isn't expecting an exception, especially if it's
more C code.

There are also issues with the ease of simply catching an exception
and not propagating it out, where cancellation is usually intended to
unwind the stack properly, but not be caught.

I'm sure Lawrence would be interested in solutions to these issues,
if you can suggest any.

(I think there is a (near ?) consensus that we can ignore Posix
asynchronous cancellation.  I would suggest we not go there.)