[cpp-threads] Draft Plan for Threads in C++

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Apr 27 23:22:26 BST 2005

Lawrence -

I suggested earlier in our discussion that we separate out the
different issues, and not try to keep them in lock-step.  Keeping
the discussion on a single list is probably good though, so we
all keep up on other relevant pieces.

I'm most interested in the memory model piece, and will continue
to push for that.  At least for that piece, I think
we should have a basic proposal (i.e. agreement on major issues,
no standardese, but some idea what changes are needed) by the
Quebec meeting.  I'm sure we'll discover new and interesting
issues after that, though.

I'm planning on regularly updating the strawman proposal in place.
Attaching a date to it is probably not a good idea.

As far as atomic operations are concerned, I separated out
some relevant background references on my page at

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/c++mm

I think we're also in tolerable shape there.  Doug led the effort to
do this for Java, and both Alexander and I have also thought about
interfaces that provide finer ordering control.  What we really
need next is an overall framework for the interface.  Should it
provide specific "atomic" classes like the Java one?  Should it
be a template on arbitrary types, which can just say
"not implemented" if you ask for atomic 276 byte structs
with overloaded assignment?  Do we agree that the operations
should be (op, ordering_constraint) pairs?  Is the ordering_constraint
a template parameter?  What about optional hardware-dependent
functionality?

The piece for which in my mind it might be tricky to get
agreement on time is the threads API.