[cpp-threads] memory model

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Fri Apr 29 00:18:44 BST 2005

No matter what we do, we will have to fix compilers.

With luck, this standard will be approved in 2009.  The below documents
were motivated by "features" of the first two generations of Alpha
chips,
which were corrected many years ago.  There have since been many further
generations of Alpha chips.  According to HPs marketing literature,
those later Alphas are now "a sensible evolution path to the HP
Integrity
server platform."  At the (very small I think)
risk of getting into trouble with my employer, I
really don't think we want those first two generations of Alphas to
control this standard.  I have no idea about such product plans, but
I would be surprised if there were a new compiler for Alpha after 2009,
so this point is likely to be completely moot.

> From:
> Cpp-threads_decadentplace.org.uk-bounces at decadentplace.org.uk

And how would you solve it?

> > C/C++ volatiles are already quite messy and extending that mess with

> > (heavy) msync is NOT good, I believe.
> >

> Please propose an alternative that is at least as usable for common
> usages for an average programmer. We don't know of any.

Well, try

http://www.google.de/groups?threadm=EN7u9.8900%24Af5.345070%40newsfep2-w
in.server.ntli.net

regards,