[cpp-threads]atomic operations package

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Sat Aug 13 02:49:37 BST 2005

Since the details of the atomic operations package seem to influence the
memory model and our terminology, and I haven't seen any concrete
proposals for the interface to the package, I put up a concrete though
very preliminary proposal at:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/c++mm/atomics.h.txt

Please comment.

(This has been thoroughly :-) tested by compiling it with a two line
test program.)

I currently have no implementation to back this up.  The intent is that
that this would be implemented, at least in a prototype, by invoking a
hidden template that takes size and alignment arguments instead of the
type argument.  The hidden template could then be specialized and
implemented with my C package.  If you know of reasons that this won't
work, please also let me know that ...