[cpp-threads] RE: Ping on memory model and concurrency

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Mon Aug 29 18:26:56 BST 2005

In message
<65953E8166311641A685BDF71D8658262B70E7 at cacexc12.americas.cpqcorp.net>,
"Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> writes

>3) I haven't seen much progress with respect to a threads API (thread
>creation,
>locking, etc.)  I personally still think this is a difficult political
>problem
>whose solution is far less critical than the memory model issues.  If
>the
>memory model issues were solved, it would be easy to fix the
>specifications
>for pthreads, win32 threads, boost threads, etc.  But the committee
>definitely
>appeared to be interested in addressing it.

A belated reply to this.

Other demands on my time in the last few months have prevented me from
making substantial progress on this. However, I managed to find enough
time today before the deadline to put together a discussion paper based
on some postings and documents I have put together in the past. It is
attached below. I won't be able to fold any comments in before the
mailing goes out (the official deadline was Friday, but Monday morning
PDT was the practical cut off). I may be able to add some material for
circulation at the meeting (sent directly to Howard Hinnant), but I do
not anticipate the paper growing to include more worked examples and
definitional text until the Berlin meeting next year.

A Boost implementation effort, based on the design I am proposing, is
now underway. I understand Lawrence Crowl will be submitting a proposal
on the API. I am hoping that the work will be complementary or
sufficiently aligned and that there will be sufficient common ground to
make co-operative rather than competitive progress. The evolutionary
view between the model I am proposing and the current Boost.Threads
approach also hopefully highlights enough commonality that those
favouring a straight adoption of Boost.Threads can see this is as a
viable alternative.

>Re: Attendance
>
>I'm currently planning on being there in person.  It would be great if
>others
>could make it, too.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend, so I have not been as
motivated to flesh out the current document beyond the framework and
rationale stage. However, I plan on attending the spring meeting next
year.

Kevlin