[cpp-threads] Somewhat relevant technical report

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Dec 19 19:57:22 GMT 2005

Herb -

My goal is to have the foundations worked out by the Berlin meeting, and
hopefully to have some confidence that they are correct this time
around.  I would also like to have a better draft of the atomic
operations interface by then.

I'll make another pass at the strawman proposal on the web site asap.

In the slightly longer term, I'm not very confident that I can draft the
appropriate standardese without substantial help.  Will you have time to
help with that?  Are there other standardese experts on this list who
can help with beating the text into shape?

In working towards the standardese, I think I would be inclined to
replace any mention of "sequence point" with some other term like
"occurs before".  As I mentioned on the reflector, sequence points are
really used to describe an ordering, which is confusing.  And IIRC,
Clark Nelson pointer out that sequence points aren't used consistently
in the standard anyway.  In my mind, it makes no sense to me to try to
build an easily understandable thread semantics on a needlessly
confusing sequential semantics.  We don't want to lose readers before
they even get to the interesting part.

Do you think this would fly in the committee, or is there enough history
here that we shouldn't touch sequence points?

My reading is that the reflector discussion about fixing argument
evaluation order is not likely to go anywhere, and we should ignore it,
at least for now?  (I'm not suggesting that it shouldn't go anywhere,
only that it didn't seem to.)