Document of relevance

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Thu Jan 27 21:41:37 GMT 2005

In my view it would be good to get Herb involved at least temporarily,
if we can interest him.  Aside from Microsoft representation, it seems
to me that we need some better insight into how seriously the C++
committee is interested in a type-safe subset.

Currently my view is that if there is little interest in type-safety,
we are better off leaving races involving ordinary variables with
undefined semantics.  This is formally very different from the Java
approach, but the basic rules that the average programmer sees are
the same.  On the other hand if type-safety is going to become an
issue, we need to go the Java route, and I would expect a much more
pervasive impact on compilers.

If we agree, I can ask him.