[cpp-threads] Another strawman memory model proposal

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed May 11 01:37:46 BST 2005

>>Unfortunately, I'm also becoming convinced that this is a moot point,
>>since we need to deal with unordered atomics.
>

> To balance things out, I'm becoming convinced that your original approach of
> shooting for SC normal form (and relegating the atomics to "formally
> undefined but we all know what they mean" land, currently occupied by
> pthreads) may be the only practical approach.

Or there's the Goldilocks approach that maybe I shouldn't
have given up on -- of only supporting atomics modes we think we
can explain within the SC-ish model, and work on lightening the lightest
of them so people won't complain about performance. I'm still not
sure this goes anywhere either though.