[cpp-threads] High-level concurrency issues

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Mon Oct 17 20:02:24 BST 2005

Peter -

My guess is still that this would have a better chance of being accepted
in this context, if

a) We didn't propose coroutines.  I haven't seen much of a desire for
adding those to the language.  And the timing doesn't really seem to
favor them.  I have no idea why Stroustrup didn't add them to the
language originally (perhaps we should ask), but I doubt any of the
reasoning has changed.  And I think your taxonomy remains as valid if
you couple threads and stacks, since they're not really orthogonal
anyway.

b) We made sure that synchronization was not too tightly coupled to a
class.  I still think it's essential to
synchronize on a user-specified lock, e.g. to map a large number of
class instances (or other data) down to
a smaller number of locks.