[cpp-threads] C++ committee meeting in Mont Tremblant

Peter A. Buhr pabuhr at plg.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Oct 19 16:30:13 BST 2005

   There is one precedent in C++ too, in a way antagonistic/complementary
   to the example above. The typeof operator is built in, however it
   returns something that has no meaning unless you have included
   <typeinfo>, and which otherwise has regular class semantics.

I agree that it is possible to combine new syntax with library features to
effect an extension. I agree that some extensions can be done solely via a
library approach. But I strongly believe that not all extensions can be
accomplished without some syntactic changes to the language.

In case anyone wants to look further at this case, there is a small typo: it's
the "typeid" operator not "typeof". "typeof" is a gcc extension.