[cpp-threads] [Fwd: [Javamemorymodel-discussion] MSDN onMemorymodels]

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Sep 14 02:00:41 BST 2005

That agrees with my understanding of the memory model.  But there may
well also be a difference between in-order and out-of-order instruction
issue here, that I was alluding to.  My understanding is that current
SPARC implementations rely heavily on compiler instruction scheduling
(as do current IA64 implementations).  In my experience, most modern X86
implementations are only minimally sensitive to that.  Independent of
any memory fence issues, there's a question of how much it costs to
prevent the compiler from reordering writes.  It's certainly greater for
in-order processors.  But I actually don't have a very good feeling for
the costs.  Does anyone else on this list?