[cpp-threads] Re: Berlin meeting

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Wed Apr 19 22:22:57 BST 2006

Lawrence -

Thanks.  Will you turn this into a committee paper, or post it
somewhere?

As I recall, we also spent some time discussing arguments for special
syntax for various constructs.  Some of that is embedded in your
minutes.  But I didn't see all of it.  From what I remember, the main
points were:

Fork: Argument marshalling is an issue with a pthread like interface
which doesn't have syntax support.  Anything that relies more on objects
(or the proposed C++ lambdas) has C compatibility issues.

Join: Can be viewed as a library call, but there needs to be magic
behind the implementation to propagate exceptions, since we don't know
the exception type.  It cannot be implemented as purely a library.

mutex lock/unlock: Java-like syntax is more convenient in a C setting.
In either a C or C++ setting, it probably makes condition variable usage
more convenient, since the lock can be implicit.  But you need library
versions anyway to deal with some more obscure cases.

By the time I left, it didn't look to me like this decisively resolved
the question of whether any or all of these could be exposed purely as
library calls.