[cpp-threads] A draft memory model paper

Herb Sutter hsutter at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 7 02:23:21 BST 2006

Hi all,

I'm cc'ing those who have RSVP'd for the August meeting in case you
aren't on the cpp-threads mailing list. If you aren't, I would strongly
encourage you to join this mailing list so that we don't fracture
discussion; to join, see Hans Boehm for more information,
hans.boehm at hp.com.

The following is an "in-progress" snapshot of a draft memory model for
native code (i.e., everything other than .NET "managed" code) on
Microsoft platforms. It is contemplated to become the basis for writing
code on all the various platforms (Windows XP/Vista, Windows Live,
Windows Mobile Smartphone and Pocket PC, and Xbox) on our supported
target hardware.

This spec is still being worked on and is subject to change based on
further internal and external feedback, but I wanted to make this
snapshot available now because it's solid enough to share without
wasting people's time, and it's something we definitely want to
coordinate with this group and all WG21/J16 memory model standardization
to make sure they can be compatible. We'd like to take feedback on this
and future drafts via this mailing list and at the August and October
meetings.

Here are the links to the current draft:

  Prism: A Principle-Based Sequential Memory Model
  for Microsoft Native Code Platforms

  Working Draft, Version 0.8 -- July 31, 2006

  http://www.gotw.ca/memmodel/Prism%20-%20draft%200.8.doc
  http://www.gotw.ca/memmodel/Prism%20-%20draft%200.8.pdf

For simplicity I've just put these on my own site for now. Newer
version(s) will become numbered paper(s) for the committee as well, but
since things are still in progress this seemed the easiest place to make
them available so people have a chance to look at them over the next
couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Herb