[cpp-threads] Re: Thread API interface tweaks

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 22:47:21 BST 2006

On 8/29/06, Peter Dimov <pdimov at mmltd.net> wrote:
> Lawrence Crowl wrote:
>
> > Most large applications live in a multi-language world, and like it or
> > not, C is the common glue that binds them together.  Therefore, I
> > would like to see the C interface for manipulating a thread - yield,
> > sleep, mutexes, etc.  I do not think we can reliably leave that task
> > to later.
>
> I "vote" for <pthread.h> and <sched.h> being that C interface. This saves a
> lot of standardization work. :-)

I second that. All what's needed is a section showing how that C
legacy stuff can be implemented using <thread> akin to (quoting C++
TR, with annotations added):

---
The implementation of the basic <iohw.h> hardware register
access[^W^W^W^W<pthread.h> and <sched.h>] interface on top of the
<hardware>[^W<thread>] interface is mainly straightforward. This
section provides an example of how such an implementation can be
achieved.
---

regards,
alexander.