[cpp-threads] RE: "Agenda" for august 23-25 concurrency meeting

Robison, Arch arch.robison at intel.com
Mon Aug 28 23:54:56 BST 2006

The Intel(R) Threading Building Blocks that I presented at the meeting
is now an official product, so anyone can download the documentation
from: http://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/294796.htm

Alas, the bits were frozen earlier, so I have not yet been able to
incorporate comments from the meeting, but hope to do so in the future.

The lambda proposals would definitely simplify the use of the
parallel_for template.  Something closer to a Java-style inner class
(essentially a multi entry-point lambda) would be more suitable for the
parallel_reduce template, because it involves three operations:
splitting, applying, and joining.  Perhaps using three separate lambda
functions would do, but I suspect it will be clumsy, because the three
operations usually involve some shared state, and thus an inner class is
a more natural representation.  Has anyone considered a lambda syntax
that extends to inner classes?

- Arch Robison