[cpp-threads] Re: Thread API interface tweaks

Peter Dimov pdimov at mmltd.net
Wed Aug 30 12:21:34 BST 2006

Doug Lea wrote:
> Pete Becker wrote:
>>

>> This is, of course, library design by committee without pre-existing
>> practice.
>>

> Well, you are of course free to lift the Future and Executor
> designs from java.util.concurrent, which have by now undergone
> a lot of experience, and include various small touch-up API changes
> in Java 6 in accord with experience since Java 5. See:
>   http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrency-interest/index.html

Does a Java Future<V> provide the "multiple OR wait" capability? That is,
can I wait for f1 or f2 to complete? I took a look at

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/jsr166/dist/docs/

but wasn't able to find the answer (quickly :-) ).

Multiple waits aside, I believe that my proposed future<>, task<> and
Executor match the Java concepts pretty closely.