[cpp-threads] Re: Thread API interface tweaks

Herb Sutter hsutter at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 30 15:34:38 BST 2006

I didn't realize Pete's message had gone to the list, or I would have cc'd my response to the same group:

--- snip

Pete wrote:
  This is, of course, library design by committee without pre-existing practice.

Actually, I was reporting experience with actual (if internal) practice of a library designed by me and being used experimentally internally. It compiles all the code examples I gave, modulo typos. I've also gratefully taken a bunch of external feedback over the past year at a number of talks and presentations that shows such code.

Of course, there's a bunch of shipping practice, and a lot of futures libraries are strikingly similar. My little one happens to be similar to the published/shipping ones (not least Java 5 and 6), though with some additional features. It also happens to be similar to parts Howard's proposal, but then Howard and I have talked a little so maybe I've polluted him. :-)

Herb

--- snip