[cpp-threads] Yet another visibility question

Peter Dimov pdimov at mmltd.net
Wed Dec 13 12:47:22 GMT 2006

Hans Boehm wrote:

> The intent is definitely not to require per-variable TSO for ordinary
> variables.  As you point out, it probably doesn't matter which way
> it's stated here.  But I think it's cleaner to explicitly only talk
> about synchronization operations.

Just to clarify, "ordinary variables" is a shorthand for "variables read or
written using ordinary operations", right? We won't require explicit tagging
to distinguish "atomic variables" from "ordinary variables", I hope. :-)

"All atomic modifications to a location or lock L occur in some particular
total order, called the modification order of L"

maybe?