[cpp-threads] C++/CLI and threads

Herb Sutter hsutter at microsoft.com
Tue Feb 7 21:42:19 GMT 2006

Hi Nick,

> Well, I found the specification dated August 2005, with ECMA numbers,
> and there was nothing about 'thread' in the index, and only a few
> footnote-style remarks in the text.
>
> Has anyone seen a version that deals with threading and, if so, where?

You can find Ecma-372 here:

 http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-372.htm

but Ecma-372 doesn't deal with threading. It's just a binding between
C++ and CLI, and follows whatever memory model etc. that the C++ and CLI
standard and/or implementations respectively provide.

Today the C++ MM is of course implementation-defined, and there is a
base CLI MM is defined in Ecma-335 but I know at least our
implementation of that guarantees a stronger memory model (partly
described by Vance in that MSDN article, which Vance and we have
discussed on this cpp-threads list already a few months ago and which
has some typos and I know some open issues).

Herb