[cpp-threads] Re: A hopefully clearer document on POSIX threads

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 20 13:45:13 GMT 2006

> The underlying programming-level issue is that if you want to
> rely on a property that is maintained jointly by multiple threads,
> then it is unwise to assume it. Instead you should check it, ...

If you can :-(  Many of the specifications make any attempt to check
such things into undefined behaviour.

> The main impact is on specs. It is challenging to spec this out
> in common models that describe effects as reorderings of a global order.

Yes, indeed.  And it would be entirely fair to describe POSIX threads
as a precision-challenged standard - which is where I came in.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679