[cpp-threads] Editorial comments on the straw man

Nelson, Clark clark.nelson at intel.com
Thu Jan 19 18:46:03 GMT 2006

> I would prefer to stick with "happens before", since I think it's
> consistent with usage elsewhere.  There are technical differences
> between it and the Java definition, but it basically serves the same
> purpose.

That's an advantage only for people who are familiar with the elsewhere
usage. As one who is not, it doesn't help me -- and I suspect I'm in the
(probably vast) majority in this. Especially considering how new the
"happens-before" terminology is (less than a year, as far as the Java
spec is concerned).

As long as you're dropping the technical distinction between "occurs"
and "happens", that's progress. But I still think the mappings from
"sequenced before" and "happens before" to the intra-thread and
inter-thread concepts are pretty arbitrary, and will result in avoidable
confusion.

Clark