[cpp-threads] Implicit Synchronization

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Wed Jul 12 00:44:02 BST 2006

Boehm, Hans wrote:

> My sense is that moving completely to the (safer, more expensive) Java
> volatile semantics will make some people here very unhappy.  Providing all
> the current alternatives, but making the safer ones easier to spell, seems to
> be the best compromise.

As an indication that you might be right (or else many of us are wrong :-)
we've been discussing filling in the remaining  holes in
Java atomics support that are likely (although not until Java 7) to
be basically isomorphic to your current C++ version. I guess the
main difference is that getting some of almost-never-useful ones in
Java will be so awkward that no one could write them that way by mistake.