[cpp-threads] RE: volatile, memory models, threads

Peter Dimov pdimov at mmltd.net
Wed Mar 1 18:22:11 GMT 2006

Nick Maclaren wrote:
> "Peter Dimov" <pdimov at mmltd.net> wrote:

>> 3.9.3/1 seems pretty clear to me, sorry. :-)
>
> It seems pretty clear to me, too.  But incompatibly.

Let's suppose, for the sake of argument, that I agree that one _could_ read
3.9.3/1 your way; but to argue that it _clearly_ speaks of value
representation, when alignment requirements are mentioned in the same
sentence - values don't have alignment, objects do - seems to go a bit too
far.

Although I concede that _in principle_ you could have a const int with size
4 and alignment 2, and an int with size 2 and alignment 2...