[cpp-threads] RE: volatile, memory models, threads

Nick Maclaren nmm1 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 2 09:26:31 GMT 2006

> I don't know whether we have to address misaligned scalars.  I guess
> they still exist in standard code with standard ABIs on M68Ks, and maybe
> a few other older architectures?

It depends what you mean by misaligned.  I know of no language that
permits misalignment for the most basic of types (though there may
be some), but most do so for the less basic.

For example, float and double must be aligned in all languages I know,
but complex float, complex double and (arguably) long double need not
be.  The same applies to array and string descriptors (e.g. pointer
plus length) in languages that have those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:  nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Tel.:  +44 1223 334761    Fax:  +44 1223 334679