[cpp-threads] RE: Review comments on N2176 WRT dependency ordering

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Thu Apr 12 00:54:34 BST 2007

I think that especially at the programming language level, this
introduces a large number of unclear corner cases:

1) When do library functions propagate dependencies?  Is there a
dependency from a character inserted into a string to the resulting
string size?  To the output of search for a certain substring?
2) What if the type involved has only one corresponding valid value?
3) In what sense is a value produced in a switch statement dependent on
the switch expression?
Etc.

It may be that this can be addressed.  But I don't think it's easy.  The
topic is certainly on my list of things to be discussed in Oxford.