[cpp-threads] Yet another visibility question

Lawrence Crowl Lawrence at Crowl.org
Fri Jan 12 21:53:41 GMT 2007

On 1/11/07, Herb Sutter <hsutter at microsoft.com> wrote:d
> Even if we did the full lower non-SC layer, ... we need those [ref cnt, dcl,
> mark] abstractions anyway because they're ... far easier to use correctly ...

I agree with this statement, but we are currently lacking specific proposals.

> And if we think we need to support those cases via abstractions anyway,
> that removes that argument for providing the brittle individual knobs. Are
> there any other arguments for providing them?

I doubt that we can identify, a priori, all of the necessary
abstractions or that
we can identify optimal implementations of those abstractions.  A standard
means to describe and implement those abstractions will avoid committee
participation in every concurrency advance and therefore result in a much
shorter "time to market" for many good ideas.  (I am trusting a less formal
process to also weed out bad ideas.)

--
Lawrence Crowl