[cpp-threads] Yet another visibility question

Hans Boehm Hans.Boehm at hp.com
Sat Jan 13 20:17:32 GMT 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Unlike Java, one -does- have the option in C/C++ to run a program
> entirely single-threaded.  (And yes, I -did- find out about Java's
> compulsory multithreading in standard class libraries the hard way.
> Why do you ask?)  So, unlike the situation with Java, I don't see
> a need for low-performance low-level parallel operations.

I think that something with performance similar to the current Java
volatile implementations is useful, since it adds no overhead on the
reader side, and just mandates expensive writes.  I agree that if we
cannot get hardware vendors to make an implementation along those lines
work reliably, we have a problem.