[cpp-threads] Alternatives to SC

Jeremy Manson jmanson at cs.umd.edu
Sat Jan 13 23:55:51 GMT 2007

Doug,

I think this is generally pretty good!  A couple of notes:

A question I asked you on an earlier version of this: why can't you have
a total order over all read and write events to the same variable?
Wouldn't that let you combine Write Serialization and Freshness into a
single simpler rule?  (Even if you disagree, an answer helps
understanding of the model in general).

Should you replace the term "processor" with the term "execution engine"
(basically something to avoid the whole "multi-core" question).

Nit: What implies that a read actually returns the last write in the
total order? ;)

					Jeremy