[cpp-threads] A question about N2153

Raul Silvera rauls at ca.ibm.com
Tue Jan 23 01:30:51 GMT 2007

As per the definitions in N2153, an ordered RMW has the acquire and release
orderings apply to both the load and store implied by the operation.

--
Raúl E. Silvera         IBM Toronto Lab   Team Lead, Toronto Portable
Optimizer (TPO)

             "Peter Dimov"
             <pdimov at mmltd.net
             Sent by:                  "C++ threads standardisation"
             cpp-threads-bounc         <cpp-threads at decadentplace.org.uk>
             es at decadentplace.                                          cc
             org.uk
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [cpp-threads] A question about
             01/19/07 10:35 AM         N2153

             Please respond to
                C++ threads
              standardisation
             <cpp-threads at deca
             dentplace.org.uk>

Raul Silvera wrote:

> N2153 is trying to propose a model that does not overtly favor any
> specific niche CPU. We're looking for a trade-off between
> programmability and performance across the whole spectrum of parallel
> architectures.

One more question, can you clarify the semantics of RMW_ordered? Is it
equivalent to RMW_acquire_release, where the acquire applies to the read
part, and the release applies to the write part, or is it ordered more
strongly (total systemwide order on all RMW_ordered, useful for building SC

atomics)?