[cpp-threads] Weak vs Strong Atomics

Lawrence Crowl Lawrence at Crowl.org
Sat May 5 22:16:33 BST 2007

On 5/4/07, Anthony Williams <anthony at justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk> wrote:
> "Lawrence Crowl" <Lawrence at Crowl.org> writes:
> > Based on these two observations, I would like to keep the current
> > design for atomics, which is a single atomic type and a functional
> > interface to all operations and an operator interface to the strong
> > operations.
>
> Doing so does not allow for the possibility of a strong atomic where all
> operations are guaranteed SC. I am not happy with this.

What problem are you trying to solve?  Are you trying to prevent a
weak view from interfering with a strong view?  Are you trying to
enforce a coding guideline?

I ask this because I don't think what we have now meets everyone's
goals, and until we can nail down the goals, choosing the mechanisms
will be problematic.

--
Lawrence Crowl