[cpp-threads] Asynchronous Execution Issues

Peter Dimov pdimov at mmltd.net
Sat Apr 25 01:21:59 BST 2009

Boehm, Hans:
> This [thread pools] feels to me like a fairly ugly optimization to address
> performance issues that may also be addressable by just working on the
> implementation of creating_async.

It is not, as far as I can see. Putting the tasks in a queue that is served
by a thread pool has the advantage that the pool threads do not need to
block between tasks. Such a pool thread may be able to execute several tasks
within its timeslice. I don't see how creating a new thread per task, no
matter how optimized, can achieve the same. But I may be overlooking
something. :-)