[cpp-threads] Asynchronous Execution Issues

Anthony Williams anthony at justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk
Sat Apr 25 10:16:29 BST 2009

At Sat 25 Apr 2009 02:45:24 BST, Herb Sutter <hsutter at microsoft.com> wrote:

> The above is exactly that we need, IMO. That is the key distinction
> that affects the program semantics: Am I guaranteed to run on
> another thread, or not?

Agreed. If the task may run on the same thread then you need to know
this because it affects what you can do on the task (and the
task-launching thread). There are uses for this kind of fork-join
semantics, but I think this is separate from a general purpose basic
async function.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams