[cpp-threads] Asynchronous Execution Issues (caching_async)

Nelson, Clark clark.nelson at intel.com
Wed Apr 29 16:37:45 BST 2009

> It seems to me that Cilk, TBB et al. are also likely to run into this
> issue. The reason they haven't yet may just be that we
> currently tend to
> have poor support for destruction of __thread variables and
> the like, and
> that these systems so far have somewhat limited use??

My impression is that it is really a gross understatement to say that there is "poor" support for destruction of thread-local variables. My understanding is that existing compilers flat-out refuse to accept a thread-local declaration of an object with a destructor.

As a result, *there simply is no existing practice* for a thread-local object with a destructor. This is strictly an invention by the C++ committee, which no one is or can be currently using. And based on this discussion, I'm wondering if the committee didn't step rather farther out on a limb than they should have.

Clark