[cpp-threads] Asynchronous Function Proposal

Bjarne Stroustrup bs at cs.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 3 13:16:58 BST 2009

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Robison, Arch wrote:
>> Instead of parallel_sum, the usual parallel naive Fibonacci
>> recurrence would be better than parallel_sum.  On typical machines,
>> parallel_sum runs out of bandwidth.  Native parallel Fibonacci makes
>> a good benchmark for recursive tasking because it is not sensitive to
>> machine bandwidth and generates unbalanced trees of work.
>
> If anyone will be using the exponential-time Fibonacci as a serious
> example in any capacity, I swear I'll go postal. Please choose an
> example that doesn't make everyone cringe - hopefully one that does an
> useful operation.
>
> Andrei

Comments like that makes me cringe because I see it as discourteous and
possibly even arrogant. Progress in a standards process rely critically
on mutual respect and a conscious avoidance of "stepping on toes". Apart
from that, Arch has made a significant contribution to C++
implementation and to parallel computation, so I naturally take all he
says seriously.