[cpp-threads] C++ memory model formalisation, post-Rapperswil

Michael Wong michaelw at ca.ibm.com
Wed Sep 1 03:28:02 BST 2010

Hi, I read up to Section 2.6. It was well written and all makes sense. I
notice there  is no text  with a discussion of data-dependency relations in
Section 2.3 even though the preliminary text claims so. Only asw and sb was
discussed. Was that an intentional omission? Thanks.

Regards, Michael

Rational C/C++ cafe:
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/ccpp
My Blogs:
Parallel & Multi-Core Computing
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/ccpp-parallel-multicore
C++ Language & Standard
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/cpp-standard
Commercial Computing
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/blogs/ccpp-commercial
Boost test results
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2239&context=SSJT9L&uid=swg27006911

C/C++ Compilers Support Page
http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/ccompilers/support/
C/C++ Feature Request Interface
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27005811
XL Fortran Compiler Support Page
http://www.ibm.com/software/awdtools/fortran/xlfortran/support/
XL Fortran Feature Request Interface
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27005812

Michael Wong
XL C++ Compiler kernel Development
IBM Canada Ltd., C2/KD2/8200/MKM
8200 Warden Avenue
Markham, Ontario  L6G 1C7
W:905-413-3283 F:905-413-4839

   [cpp-threads] C++ memory model formalisation, post-Rapperswil

   Peter Sewell
      to:
       cpp-threads
                                                        08/24/2010 07:44 AM

   Sent by:
     cpp-threads-bounces at decadent.org.uk
  Please respond to C++ threads standardisation

Dear all,

we've put together a document with an introduction to our
formalisation of the C++ memory model. It includes many examples, a
description of the Cppmem tool we built for exploring the model, and a
proof of the correctness of a proposed x86 implementation, together
with a side-by-side prose and math version of the formalisation.  It's
based on the Final Committee Draft together with various changes
discussed at the Rapperswill meeting (we include some of the
motivating examples for those).  Any comments would be very welcome.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/cpp/tech.pdf

Mark, Scott, Susmit, Peter, and Tjark