Better living through software

Ben Hutchings's diary of life and technology

Email: ben@decadent.org.uk • Twitter: @benhutchingsuk • Debian: benh • Gitweb: git.decadent.org.uk • Github: github.com/bwhacks

Thu, 02 Apr 2015

Debian LTS work, March 2015

This was my fourth month working on Debian LTS. I was assigned 14.5 hours by Freexian's Debian LTS initiative, but I only worked 11.5 as I had a week's holiday and then was ill for part of this week.

eglibc

My first task was to complete the eglibc update that I began at the end of February. There were a few unexpected failures in the regression test suite, but on inspection these turned out to be quirks of the build environment:

With those changes, the regression test results are the same as for previous package versions. (There is still one 'unexpected' failure, but I didn't investigate because it is not a regression within squeeze.)

I reviewed the backported patches again to check as well as I could that they did not depend on other upstream changes, and they did not seem to. I also received positive feedback from further testing - I can't find the message now, but I think it was that the Univention application test suite passed with the updated eglibc package installed.

With that confirmation and no regressions reported, I uploaded eglibc 2.11.3-4+deb6u5 and issued DLA 165-1.

freetype

A large number of vulnerabilities in font file parsing in Freetype were reported by Mateusz Jurczyk. I think these were less critical in squeeze than in wheezy, because while current web browsers use Freetype to render untrusted 'web fonts' we don't support any web browsers in squeeze LTS. But it seemed like they ought to be fixed anyway, and it was not too hard to backport the patches included in the wheezy security update.

Freetype doesn't have a regression test suite and I didn't have samples of the broken fonts, so I came up with some ad hoc tests for regressions. I viewed several of each of the affected font formats with the ftview demo application. I then wrote a script to match up the dependencies of a package (in this case, libfreetype6) with those used by Freexian's customers; the top results were fontconfig, xfonts-utils and imagemagick. So I ran some basic tests against each of the affected formats with each of these (fc-list, mkfontscale, and the simple text label recipe for ImageMagick) and found no regression. Uploaded freetype 2.4.2-2.1+squeeze5 and issued DLA 185-1.

posted at: 23:14 | path: / | permanent link to this entry