Slides for tomorrow night

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Mon Oct 18 14:59:30 BST 2004

In message <41737018.7030509 at metalanguage.com>, Andrei Alexandrescu
<andrei at metalanguage.com> writes

>Tomorrow is the presentation of our paper. I have slapped together some
>slides, for which quality I need to apologize in advance. I am
>seriously under stress here with a number of tasks that need be done in
>negative time, and at a point I almost canceled the presentation. But
>somehow I miraculously found one hour to write these slides, and what I
>have left to do is pray for a silver tongue.

Well done, the effort is appreciated.

>So if any of you has time, let me know of any feedback. The
>presentation will be 30 mins plus 15 mins q&a. I think there are too
>many slides for 30 mins, and that the flow could be seriously improved.
>Actually everything can be seriously improved :o). If you have time,
>I'd be happy to hear from you.
>
>The presentation is tomorrow 19:30 PST.

Slide 15: "const objects are inherently thread-safe without any
synchronization" is a false statement. To be more precise, it is not
always true: you need to distinguish between physical immutability and
conceptual or logical const-ness. Where the const means the former the
statement is clearly true, but not all const objects qualify (sic).

Kevlin

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508
   http://www.curbralan.com        fax:    +44 870 052 2289
   Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review