Slides for tomorrow night

Doug Lea dl at cs.oswego.edu
Mon Oct 18 15:26:42 BST 2004

A few suggestions:

Slide 7: Kill bullet "Simple, efficient synchronization
device". It is so simple that it is almost never a good idea :-)

For emphasis, I'd include one of Hans's examples to show low-level

Slide 9: Maybe add something explaining that a typical "volatile
write" costs about half as much as a typical uncontended lock.

Slide 10: You might note that CAS stuff needs to be in a new std
class.

Slide 12: Add disadvantages: Subject to livelock, high memory contention,
hard to control backoffs, ...

  (I like lock free algorithms a lot, but that's because I know when not
  to use them :-)

Slide 15: I'm a little confused about the comments about "const"
Is the intent to mirror java "final fields"?