Slides for tomorrow night

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Mon Oct 18 17:57:03 BST 2004

In message <4173EE41.5060504 at metalanguage.com>, Andrei Alexandrescu
<andrei at metalanguage.com> writes
>> Slide 15: "const objects are inherently thread-safe without any
>>synchronization" is a false statement. To be more precise, it is not
>>always true: you need to distinguish between physical immutability and
>>conceptual or logical const-ness. Where the const means the former the
>>statement is clearly true, but not all const objects qualify (sic).
>
>Ah, yes. I need to rephrase that. Maybe 'const primitive fields are
>guaranteed to be valid upon construction termination'?

Such validity is true for non-primitive objects. I think the point is to
be clear that const objects are immutable iff all of their data members
are immutable and their functions do not depend directly on any other
state than the data members and their arguments.

Kevlin

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508
   http://www.curbralan.com        fax:    +44 870 052 2289
   Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review