paper status

Kevlin Henney kevlin at curbralan.com
Fri Sep 10 08:14:28 BST 2004

In message <4140D27B.6080803 at metalanguage.com>, Andrei Alexandrescu
<andrei at metalanguage.com> writes
[...]
>I believe these are great points.

Yes, also agreed. However, the problem is the luxury of time. We either
come up with a great and comprehensive paper for all to read for next
year, or we submit a placeholder paper that is of reasonable quality and
content for the current meeting :-}

>Also, Doug and I brought up the following issues:
>
>* JSR 133 and 166 took years to develop, and the effort put in the
>formalisms therein are definitely worth reusing, together perhaps with
>language and library design elements.

In terms of the library, this is half what I had in mind when I referred
to higher-level facilities. If we could build on the Java work, layering
it on top of a primitive library layer, that would be good.

>* In wake of Kevlin's email, should the memory model and the library
>artifacts be two different proposals, or one proposal? I was hoping we
>will embark to both efforts in the long run.

In the long run they should probably be split.

>* The intended audience for the document, at least at this stage, is
>quite different from what the current document shoots at. I won't
>emphasize this because Dave did.

The suggestion of some initial references is good. Maybe some weasel
wording of a couple of introductory paragraphs as well?

>* The document is the FIRST of MANY iteration of a proposal. It does
>NOT constitute anything close to a serious proposal (or even a
>half-assed one at that :o)).

And that should hopefully be clear to the reader, although there's no
harming in adding emphasis.

>* The document should make it clear that *we*, i.e., the authors of
>this first iteration, want to pursue the proposal. At a point Doug
>thought we might only want to send them a bullet list with "here are
>the problems that you guys need to work on". That won't work this
>millenium. Just wanted to clarify this for everyone.
>
>So, by tomorrow morning Doug will make a pass through the doc. Doug, I
>hope the above helps as context when you start writing.
>
>Thank you all for the effort. "The longest road starts with one step"
>the proverb says (which came before cars were invented).

Still works with cars -- how else do you get into the car? ;-)

BTW, I will be not be able to respond to email this evening, but will be
back online tomorrow.

Kevlin

   Kevlin Henney                   phone:  +44 117 942 2990
   mailto:kevlin at curbralan.com     mobile: +44 7801 073 508
   http://www.curbralan.com        fax:    +44 870 052 2289
   Curbralan: Consultancy + Training + Development + Review