[cpp-threads] pthreads (was: RE: C++ Connections proposal)

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm at hp.com
Tue Apr 26 01:22:00 BST 2005

That's what I meant.  I hadn't seen that discussion.

(I think we were slightly misquoted here.  I don't think Posix
is any more broken than other comparable specifications of
the time.  And much of that was because they were given an
impossible task.  And I would explicitly NOT like to see us design
an API that is at the same level as, and hence competes with Posix.
That view was also expressed by others at the Lillehammer C++
meeting.)

The major other issue that needs to be addressed carefully are
speculative stores introduced by a compiler, which may introduce
races.  Those, along with memory isolation, really need to be
addressed in the language spec.

As far as I can tell, that also accounts for most of the cost in
fixing this.  Based on a small survey, most current optimizing
compilers do introduce speculative stores in some cases.