Welcome Peter Buhr to C++ Threading proposal group

Andrei Alexandrescu andrei at metalanguage.com
Tue Jan 18 05:51:36 GMT 2005

That sounds great! Welcome Peter!

We should also be able to convert the wonderful human resources that
we have into real work. I think we're facing some sort of Otto engine
problem: the power is there, but we need a kick to start the process.

As always, we should start by stating the goal. The goal is to produce
a series of papers for the consumption of the C++ Standardisation
Committee. The papers should provide a rigurous, precise definition of
a memory model for multithreading (which, as we had agreed, will be a
"port" from Java's memory model) that is suitable for translation to
standardese language appropriate for putting in the Standard.

The second important point is the time frame. Our first product was
finished by a very few of us and has had a smashing success to the
committee. However, that success is much more indicative of the level
of interest of the committee, than the quality of the paper. My
suggestion is to produce an incrementally better paper every six
months. The next committee meeting is in April - then October, etc.

I openly admit I lack the time resources to lead the effort, so let me
at least try to raise awareness that there should be a leader who has
the interest, motivation, and time resources to dedicate to the task.
Anyone who thinks could lead, please let us know.

Cheers,

Andrei