pre-LilleHammer mailing deadline

Bill Pugh pugh at cs.umd.edu
Sat Mar 5 17:11:26 GMT 2005

Sorry to be sitting on the sidelines so long.

I read through the document, and things are in pretty good shape.

I thought the section on "Do we allow data races" needed some work, so
I provide
a bit of rewrite of that attached. I wanted to really set up the impact
on
this decision, which I think was a little muddled before. I also
changed the section
title to be "Do we define the semantics of Data Races?", since we don't
really have
a choice on whether or not to allow them, just as to whether or not we
define them.

This rewrite is pretty raw, and I'll do another read through and try to
clean it up,
but I wanted to get feedback ASAP since it is a substantial rewrite.

The section on volatile doesn't really set out all the issues. It seems
to pose the problem
as having Java semantics for volatiles, or no thread semantics for
volatiles at all. There
are some other options, but perhaps we don't want to spell those out.
I've left the
section on volatiles unchanged.

Bill Pugh