pre-LilleHammer mailing deadline

Bill Pugh pugh at cs.umd.edu
Mon Mar 7 00:23:42 GMT 2005

I made a few more tweaks after incorporating Ben's changes.

The main thing I changed was that the document had said that data races
can introduce non-determinism. Actually, threads introduce
non-determinism,
and plenty of correctly synchronized multithreaded programs are
nondeterministic.

So I changed the wording to spell out why data races are bad:
Constructing a program that exhibits data races
and is guaranteed to work correctly in spite of reorderings allowed by
the
memory system and by the compiler is very difficult, and
data races are usually an indication
of a programming error.

	Bill