Thread APIs

jimmaureenrogers at att.net jimmaureenrogers at att.net
Tue Mar 8 03:45:37 GMT 2005

-------------- Original message from Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu>: --------------

> Rather than leaving this for another 3day spurt 6months from
> now :-), we should at least see if the Executor/Future approach
> looks like it will succeed. How about:
>
> 1. Kevlin: Propose a concrete API.
>
> 2. Doug Schmidt and others: Confirm that this ...
> * is easily supported in ACE, Boost, pthreads, Win32, uC++, ...
> * covers all of the use cases worth covering. That is,
> are there common concurrent programs/components that
> cannot be written using the API?
>
> 3. Rinse, repeat.

Pardon me if this question is out of order.

What is the effect of multiple inheritance on your thread API
when two or more base classes are threads? Does this create
a situation where one class generates two or more threads?

Is this a desirable situation? It seems to me that this could
be a very difficult condition for a programmer to test and
debug. Would the two or more threads be connected by any
execution hierarchy? Would they be asynchronous with regard to
each other? How would threads from different classes interact
with these sibling threads?

Again, please excuse me if my question is just plain ignorant.

This situation does not occur in Java or Ada due to their single
inheritance model.

--
Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado